Thursday 24 April 2014

Ongoing Research

I've had further meetings with Mat and Annabeth and the concept of developing the character has been taken much further by Mat.

Several issues about the relationship between movement and character have been highlighted, in particular the friction created between movement type and image. For instance the figure is designed from drawings done by myself based on a character designed to reflect my age. The character is gradually aging, not as symetrical as younger people are, showing the signs of wear and tear. However Mat was able to link the skeleton to a dancing young female figure.
See Mat's test 1 and Mat's test 2. The bend in the mind is similar to that you get when Gillian Wearing puts children's voices into the mouths of adults. I must return to this at some point.

The next stage is to develop the scenarios in more detail, therefore basic storyboarding will be needed.


Climbing and digging are both important, but I think we can start with climbing.



The other image I wanted to develop was that of a crowd simply looking at something and then turning towards the viewer. 

I am also becoming facinated by the fact that these are empty shells. The eye sockets in particular being a possible entry into a disembodied mind.



Next stage is for Mat to look at some existing footage of climbing and see if its possible to link the figure to these and then develop this as a looped piece of footage. I will also be working with Annabeth to develop some motion capture footage to see how simple things like turning a head can be done, so that eventually a crowd can turn towards the viewer. However first of all I might get back into more dancing and see what happens when gravity acts on the figure's genitals.

I eventually decided that the technology was far too impersonal and that I would have to return to hand drawing techniques.



No comments:

Post a Comment